Thursday, March 24, 2011

Blueberry Banana Muffins

Lately, I've been trying to bake a batch of muffins each Sunday for breakfasts during the week.  It actually doesn't take up too much time and its really great to have wholesome, real muffins in the morning (rather than the uber sweet and oily "muffins" that most coffeeshops stock).  Also, I love that it's giving me a chance to work on my baking skills - a department in cooking that leaves me feeling particularly...inadequate.

So far, these Blueberry Banana Muffins are my fav.  I love that only two bowls and one spatula are dirtied in the process.  I love that it doesn't take much time to whip up (<-- I sound all fancy, whipping up things in my kitchen - don't let fancy-shmancy terms fool you, these really are easy!).  I love that most of the sweetness comes from the bananas.  I love that the way they made our place smell.  And, of course, I love munching on them.

we ate them all before i had a chance to actually get a picture of one - these are the parchment paper squares I baked them in - so easy to "make" and you don't waste any muffin on the wrapper **double bonus**


Blueberry Banana Muffins
(makes 12 muffins)

  • 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup wheat germ
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (3ish)
  • 1/2 cup soy milk 
  • (I always use silk light - it is by far my favorite brand)
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries, unthawed 
  • (if you have fresh, go ahead and use 'em - that was my original plan, but then I went and forgot them at the back of the fridge for a wee bit too long...)

- Preheat oven to 400°F. 
- Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners. 
(or make your own out of parchment paper like I did)
- Combine flour, sugar, wheat germ, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl; whisk to blend.
- Place mashed bananas in large bowl then stir in soy milk, egg, oil, lemon juice and vanilla extract. 
- Mix in dry ingredients, then blueberries. 
- Divide batter among muffin papers. 
- Bake muffins until tester inserted into center comes out clean & tops are just starting to brown, about 25 minutes. 
- Turn muffins out onto rack and cool 10 minutes. 
- Serve warm or at room temperature.


Now it's your turn - please give them a try ...and maybe make yourself a fancy paper hat so that you feel more legit as you bake!  (I may take my own advice and do that next time!)  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips